Many people enjoy gambling for their fun but for some people it gets out of their control and they end up into gambling addiction. A gambling disorder or pathological gambling is a pattern of behavior that severely impacts a person’s family, job, or personal life.
According to a brief research conducted by researchers In US has discovered that almost 1/4Th of the population is suffering from gambling addiction and facing its consequences monetary, psychologically and physical health wise too.
Signs of a person is into Gambling Addiction are:
- Recurrent gambling behavior that leads to distress.
- A persistent need to wager larger amounts of money or take bigger risks.
- Restlessness or irritability when attempting to cut down on gambling.
- Taking bigger risks to attempt to win back money after a loss.
- Lying to family members and friends to try to hide how much one is gambling.
- Numerous unsuccessful attempts to stop or cut down on gambling.
- Losing one’s job because of gambling.
- Borrowing money from others to relieve desperate financial situations caused by gambling.
- Endangering or losing a job, relationship, or other opportunity due to gambling.
Link between Gambling Addiction and Drug or Substance Abuse
Research suggests that there are high rates of comorbidity between substance use disorders and gambling addiction.
Gambling and drug use may be related because of environmental factors. For example, alcohol disorders have been found to have the greatest link to gambling addiction, and alcohol is served at most casinos.
Psychology, genetics, and neuroscience research over the last 2 decades indicate that drug addiction and gambling act in similar ways on the brain.
Research suggests that people are vulnerable to compulsive gambling and drug addiction because the circuits of their brain that deal with rewards are underactive. Therefore, they tend to take bigger risks in terms of both substance use and gambling.
Research has found that people who have co-occurring substance abuse disorders and gambling disorders also tend to have higher rates of attention-deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD), risky sexual behaviors, and antisocial personality disorder.
As we have observed and studied that how gambling addiction can lead a person to more addictions like drug and alcohol therefore it is better to be treated gambling addiction when one is getting into it. There are quite number of Addiction Rehab and Treatment centers; among them one of the leading name is Serene Retreat which is based in Kualalumpur Malaysia. We have world class facilities equipped with most experienced Addiction treatment specialist in the industry. To know more about our programs and other inquires you can Call/Whatsapp +60146872268 or visit our website www.sereneretreat.com.my