What are the common Mental Health Issues among Kids?
There are different ways to estimate which children have difficulties with mental health and there are a lot of common mental health issues in kids. CDC uses surveys, like the National Survey of Children’s Health, to understand which children have diagnosed mental disorders and whether they received treatment. In this type of survey, parents report on the diagnoses their child has received from a healthcare provider.
ADHD, behavior problems, anxiety, and depression are the most commonly diagnosed mental disorders in children
- 9.4% of children aged 2-17 years (approximately 6.1 million) have received an ADHD diagnosis.
- 7.4% of children aged 3-17 years (approximately 4.5 million) have a diagnosed behavior problem.
- 7.1% of children aged 3-17 years (approximately 4.4 million) have diagnosed anxiety.
- 3.2% of children aged 3-17 years (approximately 1.9 million) have diagnosed depression.
Many family, community, and healthcare factors are related to children’s mental health
- Among children aged 2-8 years, boys were more likely than girls to have a mental, behavioral, or developmental disorder.
- Among children living below 100% of the federal poverty level, more than 1 in 5 (22%) had a mental, behavioral, or developmental disorder.
- Age and poverty level affected the likelihood of children receiving treatment for anxiety, depression, or behavior problems.
Early diagnosis and appropriate services for children and their families can make a difference in the lives of children with mental disorders. Access to providers who can offer services, including screening, referrals, and treatment, varies by location.
Facing your problem without minimizing the issue or making excuses can feel frightening and overwhelming, but recovery is within reach. If you’re ready to seek help, you can overcome your mental health issue and have a satisfied life. Serene Retreat is one of the leading Addiction and Mental Health Treatment provider based in Malaysia with its branches locally and abroad. It is nourished with the best experts and practitioners of the field and can aid with the best possible ways to get the children out of the situation. For more information about our treatment programs you can reach us via Call/Whatsapp +60 14-687 2268 or visit our website www.sereneretreat.my.